Monday, January 25, 2010

A Modern Perspective

When someone asks me if I believe in God, I say "Yes". And depending upon the context, I will be silent, and let that answer have the meaning the questioner wishes. He may be Catholic, asking if I believe in God the Father. She may be Hindu, wondering if I believe in the same elephant-headed man she does. I say "Yes" because this is how I view God:

God is only one name given to a multitude. The names we call God may be different, but essentially are all describing the same thing: The beauty of nature, the wonder of pi, the inner anguish that comes with being human. The words people use to describe God are not the same, but the divine spirit that we pray to is. God the Father, Ganesh, Yinepu. All are Names. All are part of the same divine One. This does not mean that polytheism, pantheism, monotheism, or any other "ism" is the wrong or right way to view God. Different, but the same. Egyptian, Indian, Norse, Native American, German, Chinese, Japanese, African. All are true, if the gods you follow believe in you.

Some ruminations, and things for your brain to nibble on.

Senebty,

Tawai

No comments:

Post a Comment